With iPhone videos being so popular these days for vlogging, TikTok, Instagram, and more, having bright white teeth has become increasingly important. No one wants dull, yellowish teeth distracting viewers from what they are saying or doing on camera. The good news is that there are ways to digitally whiten teeth in iPhone videos to give you a picture-perfect smile. In this article, we’ll explore how it works and the best apps to use.
Why Do Teeth Appear Yellow on Camera?
Teeth naturally pick up stains over time from food, drinks, and smoking that make them appear more yellow. The iPhone camera exaggerates any yellowness due to factors like:
- The flash on your phone emits a cool, blue-toned light that makes yellow stand out more.
- Phone cameras capture a higher level of detail and sharpness than our eyes see.
- Compression used for video recording on phones can increase contrast.
As a result, teeth that look normal to you in real life may look unsightly on camera. Whitening them digitally for videos can solve this problem.
Best Apps to Whiten Teeth in Videos
There are several easy-to-use apps that allow you to tweak color, brightness, and other settings to whiten teeth before or after recording iPhone videos:
Afterlight provides advanced photo and video editing tools along with a “Whiten Teeth” function. You can adjust the strength of the effect and it uses selective editing so only the teeth are lightened, not the whole video frame.
This app offers a “Whitening Brush” to paint over teeth and brighten them. You can control the size and intensity of the brush effect. Other features like filters and text allow you to further edit your videos.
PicsArt provides professional-level teeth whitening capabilities along with many other effects and enhancements for images and video. You can even whiten teeth automatically with the “Beautify” tool or manually adjust the whitening with a slider.
Visage Lab is focused specifically on dental and smile tools. Options like “Whitening Strips” let you swipe over each tooth individually to lighten stains. Teeth whitening is very customizable.
|“Whiten Teeth” slider
|Free with ads removed for $2.99
|“Whiten” and “Beautify” teeth tools
|Free with ads or $9.99/month
|Customizable whitening strips, gels, etc.
|Free with in-app purchases
As you can see, many apps provide advanced teeth whitening, often for free or just a couple dollars.
Whitening Teeth Before Recording
In addition to digitally altering videos after recording, there are some tricks to naturally whiten teeth before filming iPhone videos:
- Use whitening toothpaste – Brush with a toothpaste designed to remove stains and brighten teeth. Options like Crest 3D White and Arm & Hammer Truly Radiant make teeth appear whiter.
- Try whitening strips – Using whitening strips right before filming can instantly make teeth a few shades lighter. However, this effect only lasts a couple hours.
- Use baking soda – Making a paste of baking soda and water and brushing it on teeth acts as a mild abrasive to scrub away stains. Rinse thoroughly afterward.
- Oil pulling – Swishing oil like coconut oil around your mouth draws out toxins for whiter teeth over time.
- Apple cider vinegar – The acetic acid in apple cider vinegar removes stains and kills bacteria. Mix 2 tablespoons with water and gargle.
- Avoid staining foods/drinks – Coffee, tea, red wine, and dark berries can stain teeth right before filming. Avoid or rinse mouth after consuming.
While these tips provide a temporary whitening boost, using a digital whitening app offers the best camera-ready results.
Do Teeth Whitening Apps Really Work?
Teeth whitening apps use selective color correction techniques that target only the teeth. This lightens them while keeping the rest of the video unchanged. However, the effects may not always look realistic. Here are some pros and cons:
- Instant results with just a few taps
- Completely customizable level of whitening
- Usually inexpensive or free apps
- More subtle than an Instagram teeth whitening filter
- Can look obviously edited if overdone
- Limited to what is possible from an existing video
- Doesn’t change underlying tooth color like professional whitening treatments
Overall, teeth whitening apps are very effective at making teeth look brighter and less yellow for smartphone videos. Just be careful not to go overboard with the effect. Test it out first before applying it to videos meant for public posting.
Professional Teeth Whitening Options
While DIY methods and apps work well, you may want to consider professional teeth whitening for the best results:
Dentist Office Whitening
The strongest treatments are available through your dentist, such as zoom whitening. This uses a hydrogen peroxide gel and a special light to deeply penetrate stains. Cost is $500-1000.
Professionally Applied Trays
Your dentist makes custom trays that fit your teeth to hold whitening gel against them for several hours at a time or overnight. Cost is around $400.
Over-the-Counter Whitening Strips
Whitening strips with hydrogen peroxide from brands like Crest are available at drugstores for $30-50. They must be applied daily for 1-2 weeks.
Professional methods last longer than DIY ones and can make teeth up to eight shades lighter. However, teeth whitening apps are the quickest, easiest, and most affordable option for iPhone videos.
Yellowish teeth on iPhone videos can really detract from your smile and appearance on camera. Luckily, teeth whitening apps provide an easy way to digitally brighten and remove stains. For best results, use a selective whitening tool that keeps editing looking realistic. With the right app, you can get picture-perfect teeth in just seconds. Say goodbye to dental anxiety on video calls and Instagram lives!
FAQ About Teeth Whitening for iPhone Videos
Does whitening teeth in videos damage teeth?
No, digitally whitening teeth with apps does not damage or change the actual tooth structure in any way. It simply edits the color and appearance on camera. The effect is temporary for that video and does not make physical alterations to your teeth.
Do teeth whitening apps work on old videos?
Yes! The great thing about whitening teeth with video editing apps is they can be used on videos previously recorded and stored in your camera roll. You aren’t limited to editing just newly recorded footage.
Can you use teeth whitening apps for Zoom?
The whitening effect provided by these apps works great on any iPhone video footage. So they are absolutely useful for looking your best on Zoom or other video calls captured using your phone camera.
Is teeth whitening on Instagram or TikTok allowed?
Teeth whitening apps generally comply with app guidelines, as long as the editing appears natural and not overly filtered. Extreme whitening may get content flagged. Use the effect subtly for the best results.
What teeth whitening method works fastest?
Whitening strips yield the quickest visible results in as little as 30 minutes. However, digital whitening apps are the fastest way to brighten teeth for smartphone videos in just a few seconds with the tap of a button. So they are the best option right before filming iPhone videos.