Dental School Deans' Letter to Secretary Sebelius on ACA Pediatric Dental Benefit
On September 20, 2011, shortly after 53 dental and children's health organizations sent a letter to Secretary Sebelius supporting an evidence-based pediatric dental benefit in the Exchanges, 42 of the nation's dental school Deans also sent a letter to the Secretary calling for a benefit that reflects current scientific evidence, current teaching, and the most effective approaches to quality oral health services for children.
The Deans have asked federal regulators to endorse a set of dental services that honor professional guidelines and recommendations including 'Bright Futures Oral Health' and reflects the following evidence-based pediatric oral health guidelines and policies:
- The American Dental Association’s Center for Evidence-Based Dentistry recommendations on use of fluorides and dental sealants.
- The joint US Food and Drug Administration/American Dental Association Guide to Patient Selection for Dental Radiographs.
- The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry Clinical Guideline on Risk Assessment and Caries Management.
- The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry’s Policy on Model Dental Benefits for Infants, Children and Adolescents and Individuals with Special Care Needs.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics’ Policy on Oral Health Risk Assessment Timing and Establishment of the Dental Home.
To read the letter in its entirety, please download the above PDF.
More From CDHP
Latest Blog Posts
Read our blogClick here ›